It's our 20th anniversary. (Cue Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble singing their anniversary song in the background. For those of you who don't remember, got to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knp9-GY6fHE) I can't believe it! In a few ways it feels it's just since yesterday, but mostly, it feels like it's been forever (in a good way ;) ). For a while, I measured time in terms of before I met DH and after I met DH. Then, it moved on to before and after our wedding. Now, those events that were before DH are so far in the past that it's ancient history.
We once went to see Carol Leifer (at least I think it was Carol Leifer, but the dates don't line up with the stories) perform. She talked about having been married about 1 year. When there were some applause, she responded, "Yes, that's right. One year, how do we do it?" Once we married, we started saying the same thing, joking of course. "One week, how do we do it?" "One month, how do we do it?" But eventually, it became, "Ten years, how do we do it?" "Fifteen years, how do we do it?" And we were asking this more seriously. Not that we doubted our relationship, but we'd seen so many people we knew getting divorced around us over the years, most of whom who had seemed (at least to an observer) to have good marriages. Of course, this happened throughout the years, but it made us think even more when it was people who had gotten married after us. For me, in particularly, there was a bit of "there but for the grace of G-d go us."
The point of this is not to give "Cindy's Rules for a Happy Marriage," so I'm not going to go there. It's just for me to share my happy astonishment that I'm still in this wonderful relationship after 20 years of marriage (plus the 2 1/2 years until the marriage) and looking forward to many, many more.
2 comments:
WOW! 20+ years? Congratulations!! Imagine when you reach 30 years!
Congratulations! Are you doing a big party for your silver anniversary?
Post a Comment