Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I <3 Boobies, Too (just not the dopey kind)

First, to see the background on this story, read http://bit.ly/cYop41


I guess the Easton Area School District (and others that have similar bans) also won't let them talk about chicken parts or certain seabirds that are closely related to the gannet. 

On a more serious note, to quote the article, "The district says the bracelets offended several teachers and prompted boys to make inappropriate comments about girls' breasts, according to the suit. Other students were uncomfortable discussing human sexuality topics, the suit says."

That's ludicrous! First of all, if the boys are making inappropriate comments in response to the bracelets, why are the girls receiving the consequence? Please don't say "boys will be boys." They will, if they're not taught to be young men.

As for the students being uncomfortable discussing "human sexuality topics," *how* is this a human sexuality topic? I'm sorry if they or the teachers found it offensive, but this has nothing to do with human sexuality and everything to do with cancer (i.e. early *death*) prevention. I'm sure that this wouldn't be an issue if *men* got breast cancer. No, wait, men *can* get breast cancer (see http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/male-breast-cancer/DS00661 , http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/96537.cfm), it's just that it occurs a lot more rarely than in women.


Off my soapbox now.

No comments:

Post a Comment